Content.ad widgets can be set up to display varying amounts of sponsored content from 3rd party websites. When displaying sponsored content, you make a percentage of the revenue generated from sending quality visitors to these sites. Over time, Content.ad will learn and optimize to show sponsored content that performs the best for you.
Category: Earning Revenue
All sponsored content is screened internally to ensure that it is appropriate for general audiences. However, some publishers are more sensitive to the types of content they want on their website than others. Content.ad offers four ways to customize the type of sponsored content that will appear in your widget: by content rating, by aggressiveness rating, by brand-safe filter, or by vertical.
You can control content rating and aggressiveness rating separately. This allows you to be more granular in the types of content you want to exclude, enabling you to monetize your widgets at the maximum level possible.
Content rating loosely follows the same format used for movie ratings: G is the most conservative and R the least conservative. The Aggressive Imagery rating is used to classify the graphic nature of the content with None the most conservative and High the least conservative.
A widget with a less conservative rating does not mean you will always see that type of content; it means that you are allowing that type of content to serve if it performs well for your site. See a general description of each rating below.
G: Absolutely no suggestive content of any kind, including images of people showing any amount of skin.
Examples of G Content
PG: No sex-related or sensual content. Tasteful imagery associated with topics such as swimwear and fitness may include skin.
Examples of PG Content
PG-13: Content includes sexual topics or non-explicit suggestive imagery. Includes terms and images that may be considered “sexy”.
Examples of PG-13 Content
R: All of our sponsored content can be shown here. Content may be sexual in nature. Ad content does NOT contain nudity, pornography or explicit sex. (Note: This option may not be compliant with Google AdSense or other ad network policies.)
Examples of R Content
Aggressive Imagery Rating
None: Content does not include aggressive imagery or text.
Examples of No Aggressive Imagery
Low: Content includes imagery that may be considered mildly aggressive.
Examples of Low Aggressive Imagery
High: Content includes imagery that may be considered highly aggressive.
Examples of Highly Aggressive Imagery
You may be more concerned with the presentation of the content rather than the rating or vertical. If an ad is sensational, Content.ad flags that ad as not brand safe. Activating the brand-safe filter will ensure that these ads do not appear. Please contact support to have the brand-safe filter activated for you.
Examples of Brand Safe Content
Examples of Non-Brand Safe Content
You may wish to remove specific ads and/or verticals from your widget. The following verticals can be blocked:
- Anti-Aging Products
- Brain Enhancements
- Dating Services
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Eyelash Products
- Get Rich Quick Programs
- Hair Growth
- Penny Stocks
- Testosterone Products
- Vision Products
- Weight Loss Products & Services
Please contact support to have any of these verticals or specific ads removed for you.
For more information about what guidelines we use when approving sponsored content, please visit: What do you consider when approving content?
Revenue generation depends on a variety of factors including widget styles and placement and the quality of traffic on your site. To get an idea of how Content.ad will work for you, we recommend putting in on your site for a week and tracking the performance through our reporting dashboard. During this time, Content.ad will optimize the sponsored content it shows to maximize effective CPM (payout per thousand impressions displayed).
Payments are made once per month, provided you have earned at least $50.00 in unpaid revenue. For example, payment for revenue earned in the current month, will be sent out the last week of the following month. Accumulated earnings under $50.00 will be paid out once a year in January.
Payments are processed and sent out on the 25th of every month. It will take approximately 3-5 business days (in the U.S.) and 7-10 days (outside the U.S.) to receive payment depending on your selected payment method.
To receive your earnings on time, please ensure the information in the “Payment Method” section of your account is up to date by the 15th of the month.
|ACH / Direct Deposit||✔||n/a|
|Wire Transfer||✔||✔||$15 US, $20 Non-US|
|eCheck / Global ACH||✔||n/a|
|Hold My Payments||✔||✔||n/a|
Widget performance can be impacted by a number of factors, such as its location on your site, your user base, and how your widget is presented visually. Following the guidelines below will help your widget achieve its best performance, whether your goal is earning revenue or increasing engagement.
- Keep styles compact and images large. In most cases, we recommend using or starting with the “Clean” template provided under our “Responsive” widgets. Most sites receive the best performance from our 3×3 desktop/tablet layout when placed below the main content and 1 column on mobile.
- Don’t cut off headlines. On each widget’s settings page, you can choose whether to truncate the headline length if it gets too long, but we encourage you to allow the full headline for clarity. All of our headlines are manually reviewed to ensure that they don’t run too long.
- Don’t limit ad content. You may notice certain content appears repeatedly or, in the case of sponsored content, that you don’t think will appeal to your audience. The Content.ad widget learns what content your audience interacts with and shows the most successful content more often. Try not to limit your content rating or request a different mix of content for this reason.
- Place your widget in a highly visible location. The best place for the widget is usually directly beneath your page’s main content. When placing the widget on a home page or a site with a non-standard layout, be sure to keep it as high on the page as possible so users will see it without scrolling down too far.
- Make sure it looks good on mobile devices. Many of your users may be viewing your site on their phone. Images that span the whole width receive more clicks. Use the 1 Column option for responsive widgets or make separate mobile widgets for your site.
- Add an exit pop. A pop-up widget will appear when your user mouses over the top of the browser window as if to leave your site. For mobile, use the Mobile Slider template.
- Test your sponsored content mix. When showing both internal and sponsored content, try increasing the amount of sponsored content that appears in your widget to see the effect on your users’ behavior. Also, consider mixing your sponsored content in with your internal content rather than showing all internal content first.
- Give it time. The widget may perform differently from day to day for a number of reasons, especially on smaller sites. We recommend letting your widget run on your site for at least a week before evaluating how it performs for you.
These guidelines are a result of extensive analysis and testing across many different of sites, but please remember that every site and its users are different, so your results may vary.
Yes. Content.ad does not conflict with any other major ad serving platforms’ implementations (or minor ones that we’re aware of). If you do encounter any issues with Content.ad related to other ad serving platforms, please let us know.
The Content.ad widget officially supports English, Spanish, French & Turkish for internal content. Using the widget for internal content on sites in languages other than those listed may not work properly.
All sponsored content in our network is written in English or Spanish and will only be approved to run on sites written in these languages.
As a publisher in the Content.ad system we are entrusting you to display our advertisers’ ads in a responsible manner.
Please note that the following widget placements are prohibited:
- Ad units that take up more than 50% of the page on load. (above the fold)
- Ad units that require a click in order to view content or play a video.
- Ad units that pop over page content on page load.
- More than 5 Content.ad widgets on a single page.
In addition, deceptive implementations, auto click mechanisms and incentivized clicks are considered non-compliant and will result in an adjustment on unpaid earnings.
If you are unsure about whether a widget is compliant with our guidelines please reach out to support or your account representative for approval.